For the crust
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp Nake Coconuts coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour or oat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
For the filling
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips (or one bag)
- 1 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, cooled in fridge overnight
- Pinch of salt
For the strawberry chia seed compote (optional)
- 1 pound frozen strawberries
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Start by preheating the oven to 350⁰F and grease a pie dish with a thin layer of Naked Coconuts coconut oil.
- Add almonds to a food processor and process until a fine crumb forms, the size of sand.
- Next, add the coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, and flour and process again until the dough comes together. Transfer the dough into a medium bowl and fold in the oats. If you want to get your hands dirty, this is a great time to do so, as the dough will come together more nicely with the heat of your hands.
- Add the dough to the pie dish. Starting from the middle, press mixture firmly and evenly into the dish, moving outward and upward along the side of the pie dish. The harder you press the crumbs into the dish, the more it will hold together.
- Bake pie crust, uncovered, at 350⁰F for 12 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool, approximately 15 minutes.
- To make the filling, remove your chilled can of coconut milk from the fridge. Open it up, and scoop out the solid coconut filling into a medium sized pot, setting aside the unneeded coconut water liquid at the bottom..
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined. Heat over low-medium heat until most of the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- To make the strawberry compote, add diced strawberries to a pot and increase heat to medium.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sweetener and arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) until no clumps remain.
- Add to strawberries and stir. Increase heat and bring mixture to a simmer and cook the strawberries for around 10-12 minutes or longer, until thickened and soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and chia seeds. Let sit for 2-3 minutes before serving to allow the chia seeds to thicken up the mixture further.
- To assemble, pour chocolate filling into pie crust and smooth out evenly. Place the pie in the freezer, on an even surface, for a minimum of 2 hours, or until firm throughout. Let the pie to sit on the counter for 15-30 minutes before slicing. Serve the pie chilled with the strawberry chia compote on top. Leftover pieces can be sealed in containers and stored in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.